Helping You Be Present in Your Child’s Life

For unwed couples, establishing paternity for shared children is a tad more complicated than for married couples. If both the mother and father agree on who the father is and are on board with establishing legal paternity, they simply need to sign the Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity Form.

If there is disagreement, though, you might have to go to Superior Court in order to establish paternity for your child. The court will likely order your child’s alleged father to submit to genetic testing in order to establish, once and for all, your child’s biological father.

Why Go Through the Trouble of Establishing Paternity?

Not establishing paternity means that your child might go without certain government benefits (like Social Security) or health insurance. Additionally, establishing paternity is typically required before the court will recognize orders regarding child support and child custody. Overall, establishing paternity for your child can help both of you obtain necessary financial support.

Another benefit is that both parents can be involved in your child’s life. Regardless of your feelings toward the other parent, study after study has shown that children benefit from both parents’ involvement in their lives. Obvious exceptions include domestic violence and abuse of illegal substances, but having access to both parents is generally a good thing for children.

We Will Handle Your Case With Care

Monahan Law Firm is prepared to take your paternity case to court in order to get to the truth. Ultimately, we want to help ensure your child is cared for. Reach out to us to see how we can provide legal counsel in your paternity case.